Sunday, October 14, 2012

Constructing an Elegant Entari (part 3)

I think this color is absolutely grown on me.....


I was on the fence about it before. In fact, I made an entari out of it because I felt that if I used it for a curaisse dress along with my white&pink shot silk like I had originally planned to about a year ago, I'd never have worn it, the color is that bright, even as "accent" fabric.

And you know, I still think that'd be so. I mean, it's a much stronger "pink" than I'd usually use for Victorian gowns. Though I know the color was around, and was worn, it just wasn't my color for Victorian gowns. With jewel tones I tend to prefer "Paris" greens, purples, blues, reds, teals, and maroons; pinks only make it into my costumes in pastel colors.... not jewel tones.

But this color is perfect for an Ottoman gown. It really is, and that's making me fall for it.

Anyhow, more on the actual progress. After contemplating the best way to trim this, I decided on just attaching the additional pieces of fabric to the base pieces, and then patterning and cutting out the trim afterwards.

Hopefully the seam will become less obvious after the robe has been put through the wash to get the fabric stay out of it

My reasoning for this is two things:
1. The pattern is finicky, so trying to match it up and then sew it to the base pieces would be like a punishment in hell. Any miscalculation could spell disaster and hours of work and yards of materials could be wasted.
2. While this makes the fabric bigger and thus slightly harder to work with, it DOES however allow for the trim to be continuous. This trim is not pleasant to work with in pieces. It frays, but it's what the budget allowed for

So I have the sleeves trimmed and ready to go, the extensions attached to the base pieces, and am now tracing a slightly larger wave pattern onto the edges. Why a larger pattern? Well the sleeves made it very apparent that smaller curves were a no-no. They were giving me trouble. Add to it that I now have significantly more edge to trim, and that it is proportionately larger than the sleeves, the small waves just don't seem like a good fit or idea.

Yay! Finished sleeves! Well, as finished as they can be at this point....

All in all, while the progress is not the fastest, it's coming along. I wanted to finish it this weekend so I could work on a new project, but I know that's just not possible. At least not if I want something presentable.

 Pinning the silk over the "mock-up/lining" to see how far up the trim/godets need to go.

Pinning the godets (which will later turn into the trim as well) to the main body of fabric.

The final product pre-trim. This shows the bottom extension panels and the two godets attached. 

Now hopefully I can keep on top of my blogging, as I know it's irritating to read a blog and not hear anything for a while, especially when there is a project in the midst. 


No comments:

Post a Comment