Monday, October 29, 2012

Constructing an Elegant Entari (part 4)

This entari is driving me insane. I've become very bored, very quickly, with its curvy shenanigans. So before I continue on with this rant and pictures, I'll give you some nice Ottoman music to listen to while you read.


Next time I make one, because I'm sure there will be a next time, it's going to have to be straight-edged.

But for now, I have to contend with the curves. And while making them larger certainly has helped, enlarging the waves created some of its own problems. It's taken me at least four attempts to make sure the waves are long enough without being so deep they don't chop off a huge chunk of the bottom of the fabric.

A 3" high wave is nice, what's not so nice is the additional 3 inches that dip down, making 6" of fabric magically disappear.

And because for some reason my brain was refusing to do math, I decided that the best course of action was visual. For me, somehow, this paid off.

 The final pattern; which, after much tinkering, resulted in a loss of only a little over 2" of fabric.

Now comes problem number two. I purchased the last 15 yards of "vintage" (I'm quoting this from the seller, I myself highly doubt the trim is vintage. Having something in your craft drawer for 10 years doesn't make it vintage, but whatever) trim that was available. Trust me, had there been more, say 20 yards, I would have gladly purchased it, but 15 was all that was available.

Which resulted in not enough trim for the planned cut of the garment, and resulted in a bit of a patchwork approach to it.

I hopefully managed to "hide" the patch-working to it as discreetly as possible, I tried to do it in and on corners, in back pieces, etc. Honestly, if that's the patchwork that gets notice I'll be very surprised as the actual ends of the garment itself are made from piecing together bits of fabric, so yeah.... That should be what stands out first.

Between the two pieced together solutions here, only one should be catching your eye....

The piping was put on in a simpler method this time around. I cut the curve out of the silk, then stitched the trim onto it, then set the un-cut muslin lining over and pinned it together. After, and only after I had stitched it down and checked that everything was alright andso on, did I cut the corresponding curved edges on the lining. 



This made the whole trimming process go much faster than it had gone with the sleeves. Though, it may have also gone faster because there was less treacherous angles to cover this time than last.

I'm tentatively planning on having this finished tonight, though it really depends on if I can manage this all by machine, or if I have to hand sew. It also depends heavily on what happens the rest of the night NOT including sewing (dinner, housework, if the dog gets sick again, etc.)

That said, I still would like to finish it within the next 12-24 hours, or at least as finished as I can make it (it does have to go through a machine wash before I sew on the appliques, just for good measure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment