Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Qajar Christmas

So, your original blogger here apologizing for the fact that the blog has been LONG neglected.

It happens. I did try and avoid it becoming dormant by assigning it to someone else, but she too has a life that likes to get in the way. Yeah.... The unavoidable was bound to happen.

Anyhow, I'm not sure about updates for the other projects, but if I find out, I'll let you know. As for me, I've been working on my own on the side, and I do have some stuff to share. Not many construction pictures - actually, construction pictures are part of the reason I became too busy for the blog. Seemed like any time I started to sew, I'd end up kind of derailed because I had to stop and take pictures of what things were looking like and, it just REALLY added a lot of time to the construction. So instead of finishing in a timely manner, or what I thought was "on-time" in my mind, I was taking FOR EVER. 

Well, for lack of better explanation, I guess it works for other bloggers, but not really me. So, instead I'll regale you with photos that were taken this week for the American Duchess "Winter Wonderland" Photo Contest.





Now, as I'm sure I don't need to tell any of you, the Qajars did not actually celebrate Christmas, nor did anyone in Iran during that era unless they were Christian. In which case it really was a very solem and observed religious holiday. Very different from nowadays, where it's becoming quite popular in its most commercialized form in Iran because, well, we love an excuse to get together with family and receive gifts. Who doesn't?

But the name sounded right given the outfit, and as I mentioned in last year's post, Iran did (and still does) have a traditional winter holiday - Yalda, which falls on the 21st of December.

The outfit is done in the early Qajar style with a few anomalous bits and bobbles. The belt, for instance, is actually a contemporary piece - but from the neighboring Ottoman Empire.

The coat is a recycled piece - rather, it was made from scraps left over from a previous project, and from an antique fur coat of a similar construction. Waste not, want not and so on. I'd have kept the original, but... well... The fur was essentially the only thing still intact on it. The silk had completely shredded and the lining smelled awful. It was old and likely not properly stored, what could I expect? The original had been slightly longer and less gathered at the back and dated from the end of the Qajar era. This version is more shorter and skirted because

1. I didn't really want to further cut the pieces out of fear their age would make them more easily damaged
2. I didn't want to have leftovers that were too short to use on anything.
3. I wanted to be able to wear it with my European clothes as well. This cut is not only appropriate for a Qajar woman, but also for later European styles once fastened up the front and worn over the appropriate undergarments.

The jacket is done in the "long" style. This style was not as popular for women as it was for men; however it did appear to have more favor in the early part of the era when it was paired with the longer skirt (which would soon be subject to an increased width and bulk before its fall out of fashion to be replaced with a much shorter, more puffed tutus so characteristic of the late Qajar era)

The skirt is a simple silk piece, worn over a pair of stockings and gold threaded shoes. The diadem was borrowed from our other blogger, who also furnished the shoot with the korsi and it's spread.

Anyhow. I supposed that's that for this post. I may follow up with a bit more on the garment itself, or Yalda, or I'm not sure...

I will be updating the page though when the photo contest that the pictures were taken for begins. I ask that you please show your support by voting for this outfit and spreading the word; asking for your friends to both vote for us and spread the word.

We thank you in advance for showing your support, and for having supported us throughout the year by reading our blog and following our page.

We hope you have a happy Thanksgiving. And if you're not in America, we still hope you have a happy day, even if it's not a holiday. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment